Snoring is a common sleep apnea symptom. It affects the ability of all members of your household, not just you, to get a good night’s rest. You might think that the sound of snoring doesn’t threaten your overall health, but the sound you hear when snoring is your airway collapsing as you are trying to breathe. If your airway closes completely, you don’t even hear the noise of snoring, and that is even worse. Your body is completely deprived of oxygen.Doctor James Ross on the risks of Sleep Apnea
Treating your apnea won’t just improve the quality of your sleep. It can also reduce the risks of sleep apnea in Novi and beyond, as well as:
- Lessen your reliance on medications to manage conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes
- Help you lose weight
- Improve your energy level so you feel better and find it easier to exercise
- Lessen frequency and intensity of headaches
- Help you breathe more easily during sleep and while you’re awake too
- Enhance your ability to concentrate so you can get more done
Start seeing these benefits in your life. Schedule a free consultation today by calling us at 248-264-3922.
Improve Your Overall Health by Treating Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a problem that doesn’t go away on its own. It will only get worse and more dangerous if it goes untreated. Fortunately, The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi understands the many risks of sleep apnea and can easily diagnose your problems.
The most common sleep apnea risks include:
- Weight Gain – A lack of sleep affects your body’s production of hormones that regulate appetite. In addition, if you feel tired, you typically exercise less.
- Diabetes – Sleep apnea adversely affects your body’s ability to regulate glucose.
- High Blood Pressure – When oxygen levels fall, your brain signals your body to produce more adrenaline, causing your heart to pump harder. Over time, this increases blood pressure and strains your heart.
- Heart Disease and Heart Attack – All organs in your body, including your heart, need adequate oxygen levels in the blood to function properly. Reduced oxygen levels can damage your heart.
- Stroke – Sleep apnea is associated with high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and coronary artery disease, all of which make you more susceptible to stroke. The lack of oxygen at night causes a stroke.
- Dementia – Without proper oxygen flow to your brain, you put yourself at high risk for dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and other forms of cognitive impairment. Certain proteins build up at the connections in your brain that can only be cleaned off when you have the proper REM sleep. This keeps your brain functioning properly.
- Driving-Related Problems – A 2015 study found that people with sleep apnea were 2.5 times more likely to be the drivers in motor vehicle accidents.
Don’t let risks of sleep apnea in Novi endanger your health! Schedule your free consultation today by calling 248-264-3922.