You may have sleep apnea without even knowing it. Snoring is often the most noticeable sign of sleep apnea, but there are other symptoms to worry about too that can have a profound impact on your life. That’s why you should visit Dr. Ross to discuss the symptoms and signs of sleep apnea in Novi.Doctor James Ross on the signs and symptoms of Sleep Apnea Read Transcript
Sleep apnea is where the airway actually closes up, and so there can be all kinds of signs, or there can be none. Some of the symptoms can be that you feel tired. Some of the symptoms that you're snoring. Snoring is actually pathologic. A larger size neck, usually 15 inch for a woman, 16 and a half for a man, that person I would look at and say they probably have a good chance of having a sleep apnea. Sometimes a person being overweight. Things with sleep apnea can cause weight gain.
When I look in the mouth, I look at a tongue position, if the tongue position is high. I look at the oral pharynx, the tonsil adenoid pillars. I look at the uvula. Just the space that allows a person to breathe properly. The only way to really know if you do have the sleep apnea is with a home sleep test or a test in the hospital. Most people prefer the home sleep test because it's done in the privacy of your own home, and you don't have to go to a foreign place. They're simple. They're easy. They give you a report that shows if you do have apneas, shows you your REM sleep, oxygen saturation. If you do snore, what decibel level, and much like high blood pressure, you really don't know until you do test.
We will help you find effective solutions for your sleep problems to:
- Help you and your partner achieve better rest
- Improve and stabilize your mood
- Restore the intimacy in your relationship
- Give you the energy you need for better focus and productivity
- Protect your overall well-being from serious sleep-related health problems
Don’t let your sleep problems drive a wedge between you and your loved ones or put your health on the line. The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi can bring you a better night’s sleep – and better health too. Call 248-264-3922 now for a free consultation with Dr. Ross.
Relieve Your Debilitating Sleep Apnea Symptoms
Because sleep deprivation can have widespread consequences to your health, ability to function, and quality of life, you shouldn’t dismiss the warning signs. Beyond snoring, you might be experiencing other debilitating symptoms of sleep apnea, like:
- Waking up with shortness of breath or gasping
- Dry mouth or sore throat
- Feeling unrefreshed upon waking
- Tired or fatigued during the day
- Sleepiness while driving
- Depression or anxiety
- Morning headaches
- Concentration and memory problems
- Restless leg syndrome
- Frequent nighttime urination
- Impotence and decreased libido
- Nighttime sweating
After an initial discussion of your symptoms, Dr. Ross will perform a preliminary exam and screening. A Diplomate in the American Sleep and Breathing Academy and member of several other sleep medicine/dentistry associations, he can arrange for you to take a sleep test at home instead of at an unfamiliar sleep lab.
Then he will:
- Review your test results with a certified sleep physician, who provides a diagnosis
- Explain your treatment options, answering any questions you have
- Determine which treatment options will work best for you including CPAP, oral appliance, or ENT referral
- If CPAP is your best choice, we will follow up with you through the treatment process ensuring that it works with your lifestyle
- If an oral appliance is the best choice, we will take digital scan impressions, 3-D print and provide the most accurate, comfortable, custom-fit appliance to ensure optimal results
- Fit you for a sleep appliance, if you’re a good candidate, using digital dental impressions and other measurements
- Check the fit of the appliance when it arrives and ensure you understand how to use it
- Review overall sleep hygiene with you, in addition to your preferred treatment choice, to ensure you are doing everything for a recuperative, sound sleep
- Check your progress and make any needed adjustments during follow-up visits
- Have you take a follow-up sleep study to ensure you are getting the best results
We are so confident in our treatment that we offer a three-year warranty!
Do you have symptoms and signs of sleep apnea in Novi? If so, call us today at 248-264-3922 to schedule a free consultation.