Snoring and waking up gasping for air are both common signs of sleep apnea, but they aren’t the only ones. You may be thinking that these problems can’t be deadly, right? Think again. Sleep apnea is a potentially life-threatening condition. What is sleep apnea in Novi?Doctor James Ross on what Sleep Apnea is Read Transcript
Apnea is actually absence of breath, so it's when a person stops breathing for a period of time. That's one of the important things about the sleep apnea is you're not getting oxygen to your organs or your body. If you don't get oxygen enough to your brain, it's a stroke. If you don't get enough oxygen to your heart, it's a heart attack. And there's in between where it can simply kill cells in the brain, start dementia. Sleep apnea is linked with Alzheimer's disease, and a lot of memory issues and stuff too.
The same thing with the heart. It can kill certain cells, and when you don't get that oxygen. There are close to 80 million cases across the United States that are undiagnosed with sleep apnea, where they have symptoms but they don't know it. I see patients every day, and we look intraoral and it's just a passion of mine to try to help as many people as I can now that might not even know they have sleep apnea.
- It’s a disorder that causes pauses in breathing while you sleep.
- It adversely affects your life due to unpleasant symptoms like snoring, headaches, and fatigue.
- It’s a common condition that affects one in five adults
- It increases your risk of multiple serious health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
- It often goes undiagnosed for many years.
End your problems today. The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi offers:
- Free consultations to diagnose and determine the severity of your sleep issues
- Sleep tests and sleep apnea diagnoses
- Information about all of your treatment options
- Custom-made oral appliances that eliminate symptoms and reduce your risk of apnea-related health problems
- Follow-up care to ensure your treatment is working
Start getting relief from sleep apnea by calling us now at 248-264-3922.
Breathe Easily With Sleep Apnea Treatment
Sleep apnea occurs when you experience pauses in breathing while you sleep. People with severe sleep apnea can experience these apnea episodes more than 30 times an hour. On an average night of sleep, this means you’ll stop breathing hundreds of times a night!
This takes a mighty toll on your body. There’s no way these pauses in breathing aren’t affecting your sleep, which in turn can affect your personal and work life.
There are two types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, the most common type of apnea, occurs when soft tissue is blocking your airway.
- Central sleep apnea occurs when the brain fails to send signals for you to breathe during sleep. CSA accounts for less than 10% of all sleep apnea diagnoses. Many times, when the airway is opened, the central sleep apnea portion is eliminated.
The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi has solutions for both including CPAP and oral appliance therapy. The oral appliance is our most popular treatment due to its comfort and convenience. Because it’s comfortable, it will not disrupt your sleep like the CPAP machine. It eases your jaw into a position that keeps you breathing easily all night.
What is sleep apnea in Novi? It’s a serious problem. If you’re a snorer or are known for waking up multiple times a night gasping for air, don’t wait any longer to pinpoint your problems. You could be putting yourself at risk of a major health complication. Give us a call today at 248-264-3922 to schedule your free consultation.
Remember, up to 90% of the people who have sleep apnea have no idea, or they make excuses for how they feel. Your health, your life, and your future can benefit from getting tested. Quit treating all the symptoms and start treating the cause!