Snoring and waking up gasping for air are both common signs of sleep apnea, but they aren’t the only ones. You may be thinking that these problems can’t be deadly, right? Think again. Sleep apnea is a potentially life-threatening condition. What is sleep apnea in Novi?Get a great night's sleep again Read Transcript
The sleep apnea is a huge problem in the United States. One that's just on the tip of people understanding. It's something where people ... Sometimes it's snoring. We know that snoring is pathologic. It's not normal to snore, and if they are snoring, there are periods of time where you're not getting oxygen to the body. We actually have patients that come in where the spouses say I can't sleep at night, my spouse is keeping me up. We have some very convenient home testing units that the person can take home in the privacy of their own home, wear that for an evening and bring it back in.
We plug it in, it goes to a sleep lab, and it prints out a report. We get a variety of different things. We get ... If they are snoring, what percentage of time they're snoring, what decibel level, whether it's 30, 40, 50 decibels. We get whether they do stop breathing. The apnea-hypopnea index, whether they stop breathing, how many times they stop breathing.
I actually, personally, am one that my wife said, ''You're treating all these patients, and I hear you kind of snore every once in a while.'' I went home, and I tested for it. Came back, and it was a mild sleep apnea, which a lot of them that we treat are mild. I wasn't really aware of it because it didn't bother me. The person that's snoring, it never bothers. It's always the other person. My wife is very thankful that I wear my sleep appliance now. She gets a quiet night, a silent night, I should say here, but I feel more rested. Many people that come in that do snore and do have some obstructive sleep apnea are people that can be real tired during the day. Even though they're sleeping, they're not getting a good quality sleep.
It's been fantastic, being able to provide that service for patients and helping so many different patients with that.
- It’s a disorder that causes pauses in breathing while you sleep.
- It adversely affects your life due to unpleasant symptoms like snoring, headaches, and fatigue.
- It’s a common condition that affects one in five adults
- It increases your risk of multiple serious health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
- It often goes undiagnosed for many years.
End your problems today. The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi offers:
- Free consultations to diagnose and determine the severity of your sleep issues
- Sleep tests and sleep apnea diagnoses
- Information about all of your treatment options
- Custom-made oral appliances that eliminate symptoms and reduce your risk of apnea-related health problems
- Follow-up care to ensure your treatment is working
Start getting relief from sleep apnea by calling us now at 248-264-3922.
Breathe Easily With Sleep Apnea Treatment
Sleep apnea occurs when you experience pauses in breathing while you sleep. People with severe sleep apnea can experience these apnea episodes more than 30 times an hour. On an average night of sleep, this means you’ll stop breathing hundreds of times a night!
This takes a mighty toll on your body. There’s no way these pauses in breathing aren’t affecting your sleep, which in turn can affect your personal and work life.
There are two types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, the most common type of apnea, occurs when soft tissue is blocking your airway.
- Central sleep apnea occurs when the brain fails to send signals for you to breathe during sleep. CSA accounts for less than 10% of all sleep apnea diagnoses. Many times, when the airway is opened, the central sleep apnea portion is eliminated.
The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi has solutions for both including CPAP and oral appliance therapy. The oral appliance is our most popular treatment due to its comfort and convenience. Because it’s comfortable, it will not disrupt your sleep like the CPAP machine. It eases your jaw into a position that keeps you breathing easily all night.
What is sleep apnea in Novi? It’s a serious problem. If you’re a snorer or are known for waking up multiple times a night gasping for air, don’t wait any longer to pinpoint your problems. You could be putting yourself at risk of a major health complication. Give us a call today at 248-264-3922 to schedule your free consultation.
Remember, up to 90% of the people who have sleep apnea have no idea, or they make excuses for how they feel. Your health, your life, and your future can benefit from getting tested. Quit treating all the symptoms and start treating the cause!