Not everyone needs a CPAP machine to treat their sleep apnea. And not everyone with sleep apnea can stand using their CPAP. At The Sleep Apnea Center of Novi, our treatment helps you get the care you need if CPAP is not a viable option for you. Instead of wearing an uncomfortable mask, you may be able to treat your obstructive sleep apnea with an oral appliance. If you’re a good candidate, you can enjoy these sleep apnea oral device advantages in Novi and beyond:Doctor James Ross on a great alternative to using CPAP to treat sleep apnea Read Transcript
There are many people that are intolerant to a CPAP. They don't like a mask that covers their nose and mouth. They can make noise, keep their partner up. I have patients that are professional athletes that travel a lot and they come in and they say, “I don't care what my score is, I'm not going to wear a CPAP.” Some are claustrophobic, so a lot of people don't like the CPAPs because of that and they don't know that there's an alternative. If I had a patient was claustrophobic that couldn't do a CPAP, even if they were severe, they would get help with an appliance. An oral appliance just is a small comfortable appliance, gently moves the jaw forward to open up the airway for the person to breathe, very comfortable, small, easy to travel with, and those are some of the advantages.
- The device is effective at treating mild, moderate, and severe sleep apnea symptoms who cannot tolerate CPAP.
- You’ll experience many symptoms improve quickly.
- You don’t have to wear a mask over your face.
- There’s no noisy machine to keep you and your partner awake.
- You don’t have to sleep near an outlet or mess with a cord or hose.
- You’ll be able to sleep in any position.
- You can wake up without a stuffy nose or sore throat often caused by a CPAP.
- An appliance is easier to keep clean than a CPAP machine.
- You can use it anywhere – on a plane, in a car, even sleeping in a tent.
CPAP Machines Just Aren’t Right For Some Sleep Apnea Patients
The major problem with the CPAP is that about half of all people cannot tolerate wearing it at night and often stop using it. Those people are still waking up feeling exhausted – even after eight hours of sleep – and put themselves at a risk of serious medical problems like heart disease, diabetes, and even stroke.
Our patients who have an oral appliance love it because it’s simple to use and comfortable. An appliance:
- Is easier to keep clean than a CPAP
- Can be slipped into a pocket or purse for easy transport
- Won’t change your normal sleep routine or your sleep partner’s
- Is effective at treating mild to moderate cases of obstructive sleep apnea
- Can reduce your risk for developing serious medical problems down the road
An oral appliance can give you the relief you need. Call us today at 248-264-3922 to schedule a free consultation and see if you’re a candidate. You could soon begin enjoying sleep apnea oral device advantages in Novi.